baby

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cribs, Dressers and Furniture Rearranging

(As always, you can click on any of the pictures so view them larger.)

So the crib and dresser (that mom and dad Barnes bought us) came into Babies R Us. Andrew borrowed Robert Hutton's truck today and drove it to Jackson to pick them up! Then the Hutton men came over and helped unload the furniture and move furniture around. We couldn't have done it without them (truly). I took a lot of pictures. A LOT.

Here was the "baby's room" as of last night, before anything was moved out. Note: we are continuing to keep my desk/computer in the baby's room. So it will be a combo. baby's room/my desk space. I only took pictures of the part of the room that would be changing (so not of my computer desk, etc.)


All of the furniture pieces you see there are now in the spare bedroom on the other end of the house.

We had to try to figure out how we were going to fit the new furniture (new crib and new dresser) and different furniture (smaller bed and matching chest from the other end of the house) to all fit into the baby's room. So last night, I measured everything (or found out the measurements for the new furniture) and made to-scale paper cut outs of the part of the room that would be affected by the move. (Let me just clarify, they were approximately to-scale...because 1" on paper equaled 19.625" in real life...so when I made the cut-outs, I obviously had to just get close to exact measurements...there was no way I could measure an exact 2.03 inches, for example.) I did this because, I simply can not visualize things without having something concrete to actually see if it will work. I also did this because, Andrew was convinced we wouldn't have enough room in here for a full-sized bed, and I really wanted to keep a real bed in this room. So I had to prove my point and make it look good on paper. :) Andrew just came in here while I'm blogging and wanted me to tell you that he was very proud of me for making to-scale drawings/cut outs. Ha. So here are my cut outs. The pink paper represents only the part of the room affected by the move, but the room is actually bigger than this, but I didn't worry about that part of the room for the cut-out purposes. You will see the full-sized bed I wanted to end up in here, the baby crib, the new dresser that matches the crib, and an antique tall chest of drawers that was in another bed room. Oh, I will say, the window parts were not at all to scale, I just stuck them on the drawing to keep my bearings straight. And yes, I actually measured where the closet (which has accordion doors) started from the wall, and how far the door sticks out when it is in a half-fold. :) I had to make sure any furniture we put over there wouldn't be in the closet door's way.



Today, before the Huttons came over to help us unload the new furniture and move around existing furniture, Andrew and I somehow managed to get a good part of the moving process done, just the two of us (mainly him). This included swapping two beds (the queen into the spare bedroom and the full into the baby's room) throughout the house, getting them (mostly) put back together, moving the tall antique chest into the baby's room, scooting existing pieces of furniture around, unloading all furniture drawers, cleaning off all lamps and things from the tops of to-be-moved furniture and doing preliminary cleaning of furniture/sweeping of floors where furniture had long been. It definitely helped to have this done before the Huttons came.

So, back to the new furniture. Here are some pictures of it in the back of the Hutton's truck with the Hutton men and Andrew getting ready to unload it. So excited! The dresser came fully assembled (just had to put the legs on it) and the crib was completely disassembled. The boxes weighed 130 and 140 pounds!




Robert Sr. and Seth with the crib (I'm not sure how they got suckered into carrying this instead of Andrew...hehe...I feel kinda bad!)




Andrew & Robert Jr. then Robert Sr. bringing in the dresser. (Robert Jr. just had major surgery on his shoulder about a month or so ago. How/why was he picking this up, I have no clue? Robert Sr. realizes this 3/4 of the way in and takes over. Robert Jr, "But, I wasn't using that arm to lift!")





The guys getting existing furniture out of Oliver's room, carrying it into the spare bedroom on the other end of the house.



Watch the doorway!!!!!



Watch the overhead lights!!!!!!



Watch the doorway, again!!!!! (Andrew's face cracks me up here.)




Amazingly, we had more room than anticipated and fit an extra piece of furniture into Oliver's room! We put the matching antique dressing table where we had originally planned to put the tall antique dresser and ended up putting the tall antique dresser on the other side of the bed (where there is blank space in my to-scale drawing.) :)



Andrew and Robert Sr. moving more furniture out of baby's room & into the spare bedroom. Love Andrew's face!



Bye guys! Thanks for your help! (The baby crib box just stayed in the living room since it wasn't assembled and all the parts had to come out, anyway.)



Andrew starting the assembly of the baby crib. ...Totally not amused that I'm STILL taking pictures. LOL.









All done!



Now for Mama and Oliver (28 wks & 5 days) next to his crib! (You can see the dust ruffle (freshly starched and ironed) in this one!) Only 79 more days (give or take) and he can be in the crib!!!


Beautiful crib! Now all we need is the mattress (which we don't have yet) and then we can put on one of those super cute crib sheets I blogged about before!



Beautiful combo dresser! Thanks again Chris and Debra!



After all of that, I completely forgot to get a final picture of the room. HA! Oh well. I have no doubt there will be plenty more pictures of the room as more stuff comes together!

"DENA......ugggggggh....no more pictures...please!"
"But I have to show how big the crib box was!"



Then we dragged the cardboard/packing stuff outside and had a bonfire.

The end.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! You have to have tons of pictures, how else will you remember everything!

Anonymous said...

I liked your pictures, just wish you included one of the bonfire too. Are you sure your not just a couple months pregnant....looking kind of thin.

Dena said...

Tomly- HA. Looking kind of thin. Riiiiight. There were no festivities out at ye ole bonfire. If there had been, I would have taken pictures, you could bank on it. ;) Just a fire.

Kendra - Thanks for the picture solidarity! :)

Heidi said...

Dena, this is Heidi (mere housewife) from the puritanboard; your house with the hardwood is so pretty! Congratulations on your pregnancy :-) -- I read in the post below that you're a bit anemic so will pray for that when I think of you.

Dena said...

Hi, Heidi! So glad to see you over this direction. :) Thank you for being excited with us, we are thrilled!!! Can't wait to meet this little boy in person, face to face. This is the manse/parsonage the church owns. It is beautiful! We have been blessed to have a lovely home provided for us here. Thank you for your prayers, I do appreciate them. My iron pills have been tolerated so far so good, so that is a blessing, too. I hear that is not always the case for a lot of people. I haven't had my iron levels retested or anything, but I'm assuming I'm probably fine now, since it wasn't too terribly low to begin with, and I'm getting a pretty decent extra helping of iron every morning. :) How is your health lately?

Carina Rose said...

Hi Dena, this is Rose (queenesther) how nice that you have a place for your dear baby, such a blessing! We are living with my husband's parents so that's only something I can hope for in the near, Lord willing, future. I would love to be able to set up the room! I really like the dark wood you picked out. Have you shopped for maternity stuff at Motherhood yet? I just went last week for the first time and they apparently give you free samples and coupons, it was pretty cool.