baby

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

1) Baby Clothes and 2) the Bedding is here!

Before I start, let me suggest that you click on the pictures below to make them larger so you can see more of the detail. :)

The UPS man came today and brought the baby bedding I had ordered (on sale) from www.babygap.com . (I blogged about it below.) I was so excited, you have no idea. The linens are even more beautiful in person than online! I am super impressed with the quality. All of them are 250 thread count 100% cotton and have all-around elastic for extra durability. I love it when quality stuff is inexpensive!!! Shown here is what we ordered (plus 3 white sheets that I got just in case Oliver is particularly sick and I want to be able to bleach a sheet if need be. I didn't bother showing the solid white sheets in the pic.) In the pic, the bottom fabric is the dust ruffle and the rest are fitted sheets. After receiving all of these pieces, I decided that I am going to send one of the solid white sheets back and get this in place of it. (Why not, since I think I went a little overboard with THREE white sheets...and the return and exchange shipping is FREE to do so!) I wonder if i went a little overboard with 7 fitted sheets...but....the book I'm reading seems to say that is not too many to have on hand, and we will hopefully be able to use these sheets for all of our future little boy children, and some of the sheets could even be used for our future little girl children...however many that should end up being.





Now, onto the subject of baby clothes. So, when I was in Jackson last week looking at consignment shops for maternity clothes (which ended up being 100% unfruitful), I decided to take a peek at the baby clothes they had there, even though I originally had no intention of doing so. Why was I not going to look at baby clothes, you ask? Mainly because I have heard from everyone that one of the top items I will probably receive at a baby shower are baby clothes, whether I've put them on my registry or not (and I will mainly not be putting them on my registry). So, my tentative plan was to mostly try and wait until after the baby shower to start gathering baby clothes, to determine what I still needed at that point. Also, I have had lots of people tell me not to buy too many baby clothes to begin with anyway, since he will a) grow out of one size into another so quickly and b) because I won't really know what type of clothing he is most comfy in/works best for us until we try a few things out. So buying clothing has been on the back burner at this point. But...back to my story where I decided to take a gander anyway. Let me say, I am so glad I did. Short version of the story - at two consigment shops, I ended up getting 13 pieces of baby clothes for a total of $24 including tax. And all of those clothes look either brand new, nearly new, or very gently used. That is an average of $1.85 per baby clothing item. (Yes, the nerd in me rears its head once again.) Now, for the quality of the clothing, I just could NOT pass these things up. You can not buy baby clothes that inexpensive any other way. And considering the condition the clothes were in, and the fact that all of them are really great/major brands (everything from Polo/Ralph Lauren to Tommy Hillfigger to Baby Gap to Carters, well....I just could not NOT get them! :) How did I find such bargains, you ask??? Most of these items I found either on a $1 rack or had been at the consignment shop long enough that they had been continually marked down and marked down and marked down until they were something like 75% off what they had originally been priced. You will also notice that I spread out the sizes of what I bought. Even a few items being...kind of...not on the radar for a couple years or so (hehe)...but...they were so inexpensive and such high quality that I couldn't make myself put them back!!! He'll need them eventually!!! Also, I made sure that there were no stains/tears/worn spots or any other red flags on any clothing that I bought. They all seem to have good diaper access and good reinforced material where the snap closures are.

Let the nerdiness continue as I detail my bargains below...*ahem*....all descriptions will be for clothing Left to Right, picture by picture.

Here we have a newborn sized onesie by Carter's that I COULD not pass up because I want to get a picture of Oliver wearing it with Andrew and Oliver, Andrew and my dad in the pic, and if Chris (Andrew's dad) comes to visit while Oliver is still small enough (he probably won't), I want to get a pic of the three of them, too. I will say, I totally "splurged" on this item and paid the most out of anything I bought that day...yes...I paid...$4 plus tax for this...hehe. I didn't even LET myself consider/look at anything that wasn't in the $2 and-something-range or below, except for this item because it beckoned me like the Sirens. :D Anyway, this appears to be brand new (without tags). Still a really good deal, seeing as though you couldn't buy this item new with tags for that cheap.

Next is a long sleeved onesie from Baby Gap that appears to be nearly new or gently used. It is size 0-3 months. How CUTE is that little car?!

Next is a long sleeved onesie with stars and footballs from Carter's that is size 3 months. It appears to be brand new without tags or nearly new.



Here is a fishie onesie from Carter's that appears slightly used, size 3-6 months. Here Fishie, Fishie!

I really love the next item because it reminds me of Andrew since he likes to hunt. It is a long-sleeved onesie from Baby Gap, size 3-6 months. It appears to be in Brand new without tags to Nearly new condition.

Next is just a simple blue onesie from Spencer's. I honestly don't know anything about this company...but it was something like 90 cents, so I figured, 'hey, simple onesie, we'll try it out.' It is in the 3-6 month size. I'm also not completely sure about the bottom part...it looks like it may be cut really high/really big for the booty area. We'll check it out. It looks to be in nearly new condition.




Here are some Ralph Lauren navy blue pants in the 3-6 month size. They are SO STINKING cute and look to be in Nearly New condition.

Next, one of my favorite things I got that day. This Carter's onesie (I feel like a beauty pageant "what are they wearing" announcer) is gently used and is sz. 6 months. It is a favorite because it says "Daddy's little Helper". Could your heart just melt?!

Next, a pair of brown 6-9 month Gymboree pants! They appear to be in very gently used condition. I will say, although the color shade makes them look "faded" or something, you can tell, in person, that is just they way they were made. It isn't a "this has been washed too many times" issue.



Next, a Koala Kids striped, long sleeved onesie that looks to be nearly new. It is size 12 months.

Jumping up in size significantly, I could NOT pass these up. They are too cute and I thought my dad would love them, especially. These are the cutest overalls by Koala Kids that say "Vintage Automobiles" on the center patch and then have two vintage cars stitched on the legs. On the back, it has a tag that says "1950's classic" with a little car on it. These are 18 month size.

Next, a red, green, white and yellow plaid button down by Tommy Hillfigger that appears to be Nearly New. It is size 2T.



Lastly, we have a pair of Baby Gap cargo style blue jeans in very gently used condition, size 3T (yes...that is as far as I went.) They were on the dollar rack, people. How could you pass these up?!



That is all for now. I hope you enjoyed my bargains as much as I did (although that is not likely). :)

2 comments:

Thomas, Christina, and Family said...

cute, cute cute! where did you get them?

Dena said...

All the bedding is from babygap.com and 10 of the clothing pieces are from The Kids Closet and 3 of the clothing pieces are from Leap Frog. Leap Frog had a random dollar rack (not usual) outside (I wouldn't usually go there to find real low bargains since their clothes never get marked down), and The Kids Closet is the place that puts a price tag on the clothes with date ranges for different prices. Ie: It might say Jan 5-Jan 29th $8.99, Jan 30th-Feb 17 $6.50, Feb 18-Mar 12 $4.00, Mar 12 and beyond $1.60 (for example)...and I guess they use certain color tags around different times of the year or different seasons or something? So I knew what color of tags to look for while I was there that would have been sitting around the longest, therefore being the cheapest at that time. Hope that made sense!