baby

Friday, January 14, 2011

Dena Recommends: Portable DVD player for long car rides with a child

Dena Recommends:
Portable DVD player for long car rides with a child

We recently had a long travel, and since those don't tend to go well with Oliver, I had a mini panic attack (not actually) a couple of days before we left and decided to use my Christmas money to order a portable DVD player for the car to see if that would keep Oliver entertained and keep the screaming to a minimum when all the other activity options ran out. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and ended up with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TCJI7E/ref=oss_product . I did overnight shipping (only 4 bucks) so we could get it in time to go. Now, we've only used it for several hours during the trip, but I have to say it seems like great quality at a great price. It has 2 earphone jacks, which I loved, but Oliver wasn't quite down with headphones, so we mostly used it without headphones. The sound was loud enough to hear over the road noises. Oh, and it comes with a car adapter, so you don't have to use the battery at all on the trip. The picture quality was great, and the sound quality was great, didn't sound tinny or anything. It sounded really well-balanced. It has a nice sized screen. Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be so much about the actual player we chose, but it was supposed to be about how I'm recommending that parents get one of these for such car rides. Totally worth the money, when and if you have it. It was a life saver. FOR REAL. I can't even imagine what the trip would have been like without it. We bought a soft-case holder for it with straps that attach it to the back of car seats, and it worked well. Actually, we jerry rigged it to attach to the back of one seat instead of hanging between both seats like its made to do, and it worked perfectly, too.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

That may very well be the EXACT player we have. We loved it to driving to Venice- I know we will use it on the plane too. . .going to have to figure out something for headphones though, I think it will be so loud on the plane I think he'll need them. Hm.