baby

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Of Words and Poo

Tuesday, I think, I showed Oliver his socks and asked if he could say it. Out came, "DOCKS." But he only said it once. That is his way. If you try to get him to repeat words, he usually won't. So over that day and the next, I would prompt him to say it again, and he would, but just once each time. Its so cute. So now he has "docks" to go with his "chooose."

Today, I showed him his nose and Mama's nose. Repeatedly in one sitting. He was quite focused. Then tonight, I asked him where Mama's nose was, with no gesturing, etc. He pointed right on my nose. Such a smart boy. Which brings me to another question I have been pondering lately. Do parents ever think their kid is NOT smart? LOL.

Oliver isn't seeming to try to say too many words, other than his own babble, which he does all the time. I'm sure it means something to him. But hes not a big mimicker yet. But, he clearly recognizes MANY words. That is the cute part.

For instance, tonight (and I've thought hes done it for a while, but it was confirmed), when I told him we needed to get his toothbrush (with no gestures from me to indicate what I was talking about), he stuck his finger in his mouth, wiggled it around and went, "AHHHHH." Oh man, ....I love it.

Another example. Oliver is very good at shaking his head yes or no. He did "no" for a long time before getting the "yes" shake down pat. Andrew likes to say one or the other and wait for Oliver to shake his head. He always gets it correct. But I theorized at the dinner table that Oliver might be shaking his head correctly only in response to the specific over-emphasized unique intonation Andrew uses for one or the other. So Andrew said "Yes" with the intonation he normally uses for "Nooo" and Oliver still got it right! Hooray! Oh, only a proud parent could appreciate such a tale. Hehe.

Am I the only parent who can't tell if their kid has diarrhea or just non-firm poops? I mean, his poo, when he was exclusively breast fed and under 6 months was runny. I knew that was normal. Then after that, it was quite firm for a few months. Now, it is back and forth. I never know if this is an indication of a) a food allergy (since he eats most stuff now, including dairy and a variety of other things that could potentially bother someone's system b) him still reviving large amounts of breast milk c) a normal variance of poo based on whatever hes eaten - in a non-food-allergy sort of way.

Hmm.

Off to bed I go.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I totally thought this title said "Of Words and Pop" guess not :) Love the stories of your smart little boy.